There are lots of ways for your office, scout troup, spiritual group, or association to help seniors in Chicago!
- Organize a group to take part in our seasonal volunteer activities listed below
- Sort food donations at the Greater Chicago Chicago Food Depository where H.O.M.E. gets food credits for your time
- Help out with gardening, cleaning or painting at our intergenerational homes
- Put on a festive party for our seniors - a holiday party, barbeque, or luau are fun ideas
- Lead group activities like bingo or a movie night for seniors
- Organize a fundraising event for H.O.M.E. - rummage sale, bake sale, online campaign, workplace campaign, etc.
- We also welcome large out-of-state groups like Catholic HEART Workcamp who divide up into groups and paint inside the homes of our clients.
This group organized a party at Nathalie Salmon House
Seasonal Volunteer Program
Weatherization in Fall and Winter
You can help low-income senior homeowners living in the City of Chicago; south of North Avenue prepare their homes for the harsh winter months by sealing their windows. It's easy and no experience is necessary. It is a great activity for friends, corporate groups, teen youth or athletic groups, or other small groups!
We provide the window kits that are easy to install plus the necessary tools and training. You and your friends provide the labor and transportation. The results are fewer drafty windows a warmer home for the senior.
If you volunteer:
- You will feel good because you're helping a senior, and the senior will feel good because they're getting help.
- You and your friends will have fun.
- You will know you have had a productive day.
We've got a lot of senior homeowners who have requested help weatherizing their homes and need more volunteers this year. Most groups volunteer on a Saturday but we can also schedule volunteers during the week.
Spring and Summer Painting
During the summer we need volunteer groups to assist senior homeowners living in the City of Chicago, south of North Avenue by painting rooms in their home. Most groups provide the materials but in some cases we can provide the paint. Groups of 5 to 10 are ideal. We also have experience with large groups who divide into small groups and paint several houses at the same time.
We warmly welcome large out-of-state volunteer groups like Catholic HEART Workcamp. Recently their group of 100 divided up into groups and painted 19 seniors' homes in addition to completing several projects at two our Houses.