Happy Presidents' Day! Did you know that Presidents’ Day is an American holiday celebrated on the third Monday in February but it was originally established in 1885 in recognition of George Washington's Birthday?
In honor of today's holiday, here are some fun facts about some of our Presidents!
- At 5'4 James Madison was our shortest President.
- George W. Bush, an avid baseball fan, has a collection of over 250 baseballs.
- At 43 John F. Kennedy was the youngest person to be elected President. However, at 42 Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest person to actually be president when he became president following the assassination of William McKinley.
- At 70, Donald Trump is our nation's oldest President, prior to him the oldest elected president was Ronald Reagan, who took the oath of office at the age of 69.
- William Henry Harrison had a pet goat while in office .
- James Buchanan was the only president to never marry.
- William McKinley was the first presidential candidate to use a telephone to campaign.
- Woodrow Wilson is the only President to have a Ph. D.
- Thomas Jefferson had two pet bears.
- Barack Obama collects Spiderman and Conan the Barbarian comic books.
Looking to get involved and develop relationships with some seniors? There are many ways for you, your family, or a group of your friends can volunteer at H.O.M.E.!
Whether it is painting a senior's home to give them a more comfortable living environment, providing a meal to our Good Life Senior Residents, or gardening at one of our buildings, the time that volunteers give is so important to helping seniors live their best lives.
Do you want updates and tips in your inbox every week? Remember to subscribe to Senior Moments from H.O.M.E.