Happy Fourth of July weekend! With the holiday weekend being here, H.O.M.E. wants to ensure that elderly and caretakers are taking proper safety precautions so that this weekend can be one of fun memories to cherish.
Therefore, we've compiled a list of ways elderly can stay safe and comfortable this weekend.
Holiday Weekend Safety Tips:
- Limit direct sun-exposure and find shade in order to prevent heat exhaustion that could lead to falling.
- Wear sunscreen to help prevent skin cancer.
- Dress in loose light-weight layers to stay cool and pack a light jacket for when the temperature drops in the evening.
- Make sure to drink water and stay hydrated. This will also prevent heat exhaustion.
- Remain comfortable by making sure there's comfortable seating with good support.
- Check prescription medications to avoid a sun-sensitizing drug reaction.
- Don't let food sit out for too long and don't risk eating food that has been sitting out. Elderly are at a higher risk for food poisoning!
We hope you find these safety tips helpful and informative. We also hope your holiday weekend can be a time of relaxing and enjoying time with friends and family! Happy Independence!