Housing Opportunities and Maintenance for the Elderly (H.O.M.E.) is a nonprofit organization that helps low-income seniors maintain their independence by providing a home upkeep and repair service, a shopping bus, affordable housing and moving assistance.
The Good Life Senior Residences seeks individuals enthusiastic about living in a family-like setting with older adults to serve as live-in Resident Assistants. Resident Assistants are fairly compensated and receive room and board as a part of their salaries (including a private room, meals, utilities, WiFi, and some household supplies).
Responsibilities and Duties
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Serving meals
- Cooking two to three weekend day shifts per month
- Assisting residents with cleaning and laundry
- Picking up food and other supplies
- Planning and implementing activities
- Helping our unique intergenerational community to function in myriad ways
Qualifications and Skills
H.O.M.E. offers fantastic opportunities to engage with the nonprofit world.
Applicants must have:
- Basic cooking skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- A valid driver’s license in good standing.
- Experience working or volunteering with seniors a plus.
- Experience living in a Co-Op is a plus.
Required license or certification: Driver's License
To find out more and apply for this position, please click the button below.
The internship program at H.O.M.E. supports the development, delivery and maintenance of programs to clients, and helps build an engaged community around the principles of H.O.M.E. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Support the delivery of programs in the field
- Support the advancement of the organization through management, communications, and/or development activities
- Provide support to appropriate projects and assigned tasks to promote accountability and ownership
- Engage with the organization’s guests via volunteer activities or community events
Activities may include:
- Site visits to clients’ homes with case managers, program coordinators, and/or home repair specialists
- Assist with daily paperwork and program activities
- Arrange monthly Good Life Senior Residences outings
- Attending community and agency meetings
- Develop and lead activities with residential clients
Marketing and Communications
- Manage social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and blog)
- Record personal stories of client and staff experiences for use in newsletters, appeal letters, and other marketing tools
- Develop and implement marketing plans and tools (including brochures; marketing to potential clients, donors, and volunteers; and preparing presentations to community groups/aldermen)
- Attend board and staff meetings
- Participate in strategic planning process
- Data entry of satisfaction survey results
- Provide staff support to one committee of the board
- Research aging population and best practices
- Prospect research of potential donors: foundations, major donors, and corporations
- Organize Associates Board activities
- Ability to effectively explain and present concepts in one-on-one and group situations in an engaging, compelling, and energetic manner.
- Positive attitude, strong interest for working with people in a fun environment.
- Prior experience in nonprofit, human services, or senior programming a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Candidates must exhibit initiative and openness to new ideas.
- Good academic standing.
- Trustworthy, with strong professional ethics.
- Ability to follow directions and collaborate in a team-centric environment.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Gail Schechter GailS@homeseniors.org.