Did you know that Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for 2016 are $733 per month? For the majority of our residents and clients, SSI is their only income!
Imagine living in the city of Chicago on a monthly income of $733.
Now imagine you are an 80 year-old woman with health issues, limited transportation, and little social support. How do you pay your bills and have enough money to fix your leaking sink or add grab bars to your bathroom?
This is where H.O.M.E. comes in.
Committed to improving the quality of life for Chicago’s low-income elderly, Housing Opportunities and Maintenance for the Elderly (H.O.M.E.) is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to helping seniors remain independent and part of their community by offering intergenerational living and by providing a variety of housing support services.
From making home repairs to providing transportation and intergenerational living for 90 people, H.O.M.E. touches the lives of thousands of the over 50,000 seniors in the city of Chicago that live in extreme poverty.
We invite you to learn more about H.O.M.E. and the services that make an impact in the lives of Chicago’s low-income seniors.
Committed to improving the quality of life for Chicago’s low-income elderly, Housing Opportunities and Maintenance for the Elderly (H.O.M.E.) helps seniors remain independent and part of their community by offering opportunities for intergenerational living and by providing a variety of citywide support services.
- Service to the elderly – We strive to provide outstanding person-centered service through unique programs that address the problems facing Chicago’s low-income seniors.
- Dignity – We believe everyone deserves to be treated with respect, compassion and acceptance.
- Teamwork – Fueled by enthusiasm for our mission, we depend upon each other for collaboration, support and appreciation.
- Community – We are united in our commitment to low income seniors and we inspire others to join us in our mission.
- Independence – We believe that maintaining their independence and being a part of a community is essential for seniors to enjoy health and well-being.
- Trust – We build and maintain trust with each other, our clients and other stakeholders.
During our last fiscal year:
- In our intergenerational housing, 80 people ages 9 months to 91 years old had a warm place to call home.
- Because of repairs made in their homes, 166 senior households are living safely in their own community.
- With help from our shopping bus program, 3,572 trips to the grocery store were made possible for seniors living in food deserts or with limited mobility.
- During a stressful transition period, 34 seniors were safely moved to their new homes.
Become a Monthly Donor
Our monthly donor program is called Partners in Independence and is the foundation of H.O.M.E.'s service to low-income seniors. Through monthly donations, Partners in Independence provide H.O.M.E. with a consistent and reliable source of funding.
Become a Partner in Independence today and enjoy:
- Hassle-free monthly donations
- The knowledge that your donation is put to work immediately
- The ability to change or suspend your donation at any time
- Newsletters twice a year to keep you informed about our progress
A monthly donation of between $5 and $100 or whatever amount you would like to share, will earn the gratitude of hundreds of low-income seniors in the City of Chicago.